The other day, I went out with couple friends to PF Chang. And we quite disappointed about the quality of it ( but maybe someone just like the crispy chicken with orange). The Orange chicken is way too heavy for us. (yea, it was a girls night out and we were concern about what we ate).
Actually, orange chicken is always my favorite chicken dish. With fruit in the dish, the whole dish can “look” healthier and has the sweet and sour flavors which I totally love it. Certainly, I decide to invite all my friends to my home and make the Healthy Orange Chicken for them. (Yes, we all on the healthy diet).
My recipe includes lots of fruits without deep fried chicken and of course tastes AMAZING!
- 1 cups (200ml) orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (sliced orange skin, please avoid the white part under the orange skin)
- 3 teaspoons of packed brown sugar
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of orange juice
- 4 teaspoons of soy sauce
- Pour orange juice and lemon juice into a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir in the orange zest and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken pieces into a resalable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve the remaining sauce. Seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In another resalable plastic bag, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the step 2 marinated chicken pieces, seal the bag, and shake to coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken into the skillet, and brown on both sides. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Wipe out the skillet, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. stir into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low; add the chicken pieces, and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut kiwi and orange into small pieces and add into the dish.