With the rainy season here in Bay area, I’m trying to make something meaty and healthy. Then, I had an idea that I could make some stuffed cabbage rolls with cream sauce which are excellent for raining weather!!! I think it totally makes sense when you know that the cabbage rolls come from the cold climates of Russia and Eastern Europe. (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong 😉 )
Stuffed Cabbage Roll
Here are the ingredients that you need.
1 1/2 pounds ground pork, chicken, or turkey
5 pieces of Garlic chives (optional)
1 large green cabbage
1 green onion diced
20 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tablespoon ginger sliced
1 tablespoon dried parsley
5 large mushrooms, diced
1 small carrot, sliced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black or white pepper
2 tablespoon of white wine
2 tablespoon of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
1. Put the ground meat, green onion, garlic, ginger, mushroom, salt, white wine, carrot, soy sauce, pepper, and egg into a big bow. Mix them together and put aside.
2. Bring four cups of water to boil in a stockpot – make sure there is enough water to cover the cabbage. Turn the heat down to low, toss in the cabbage and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Take the cabbage out of the water and set aside until it cools enough to pick it up, reserving 1 cup of cabbage water. Be sure to set it on a place, as it will drain water everywhere. Remove 20 leaves from the cabbage – make sure to grab leaves that have not split – and allow them to cool on paper towels. If the inner part of the cabbage isn’t soft enough to roll, boil it for another few minutes after you’ve removed the outside leaves.
4. Slice the heavy part of the cabbage stem carefully and don’t break the cabbage stem. ( do this step will help you to roll the cabbage leaves easily with meat)
5. Put a small amount of step 1 mixture at the cabbage leave and roll them together tightly.
6. Put the Garlic chives into the boiling water for 2 mins until the chives become soft then you can use it as a rope to tight the cabbage roll. (optional)
7. Put the cabbage roll into the steamer or pan, steam the rolls for 15 mins. (if you choose to use pan to cook, remember to put 2 cups of water into the pan.)
Cream Sauce Ingredient:
3 tablespoon of butter
1 cup of cabbage roll gravy (from steamer or pan)
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
1. Put gravy, milk, butter, salt, and cream into pan.
2. Melt flour into 50 ml of water then pour into the pan.
3. Cook until the sauce become creamy and boiling.
4. Serve the stuffed cabbage roll with your cream sauce!
Then you can serve hot by pouring over with gravy!
Here is my cabbage roll dinner!!! Yum Yum!
You also can serve with garlic tomato sauce!
They are easy to make and so delicious! Please try this out and tell me how it goes!
Sorry I missed dinner, didn’t get the invite?!
They look yum and as it is getting colder here in Australia, I think I’m going to give them a go!
Thanks for sharing.
Will do! I’m sure mine won’t be as nice as yours but I’ll try to remember to get a pic to prove that I can cook occaisionally!
But you don’t EAT fashion!
Well, at least most of the time.
I love cabbage rolls and I like the different flavors you have in yours. I like the idea of serving them with a cream sauce as well.
Yum this looks so delicious 🙂